Monday, December 27, 2010

Baked Sales Recipes Like Grandma Used to Make


When I think about bake sale recipes I think of homemade desserts made with the freshest ingredients and made mostly by my grandmother. These are recipes that I've loved and cherished over the years because they were my grandmother's original recipes from her personal collection.

Remember when your grandmother used to make her famous desserts for potluck and for the church annual bake sale? What about recipes she made for club meetings and when the minister came over for Sunday dinner. Remember those recipes?

Bake sales recipes were once big in the South and were generally passed down from one generation to the next. The problem is that it's really hard to come across such a collection.

When I was a young girl, I remember climbing in the kitchen chair and watching my grandmother put together her famous desserts. She measured ingredients, sifted ingredients and stirred them all together in a large bowl. At the time, I didn't know exactly what she was mixing together and I never thought that one day these recipes would be part of a treasured collection that would be enjoyed for years to come.

These recipes were not just lying around the house. And many of these recipes were not even written down, but were verbally exchanged so if the owner passed away, then it was almost impossible to get these really good recipes. Well, I guess I was among the lucky ones. Before my grandmother died, she gave some of her most treasured recipes to my mother who eventually shared them with my older sister and I.

Today I am going to share with you two of my grandmother's favorite recipes that she used to make for her church bake sale.

Cinnamon Pound Cake

Recipe Excerpt from Soul Food Lovers' Cookbook

copyright 2007 by Cassandra Harrell

2 sticks margarine, softened

2 c. sugar

3 eggs

1 tsp. baking powder

2 c. flour

1/2 pt. sour cream

1 tsp. Vanilla extract

1/2 c. pecans, chopped

1 tsp. cinnamon

4 tbsp. brown sugar

In a large bowl, cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add baking powder, flour, sour cream and vanilla. Mix well. Put half the batter in a greased and floured tube pan. In a small bowl, mix pecans, cinnamon and brown sugar together. Sprinkle cinnamon mixture over batter; then add rest of the batter. Bake at 325 degrees for about 55 to 65 minutes.

Recipe Note: This recipe is very old, yet very delicious. It fills the kitchen with a wonderful aroma of cinnamon and brown sugar. This recipe brings back such fond memories of my grandmother. Absolutely delicious. You must try it!

Southern Apple Torte

Recipe Excerpt from Soul Food Lovers' Cookbook

copyright 2007 by Cassandra Harrell

1 cup margarine

2/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups flour

1 egg yolk

Cream margarine and sugar, add vanilla and egg yolk. Blend in flour; mix well. Spread dough into bottom and lower sides of a 9 X 13-inch pan. Baked at 350 degrees until light brown.

In Separate Bowl:

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup sugar

2 (8-ounce) pkg. cream cheese, softened

Combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Mix Well. Pour into baked crust.

Topping:

2 to 3 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced

2/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Place apples over cream cheese layer. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over cream cheese mixture. Baked at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool. Substitution: 1 can pie apples.

Recipe Note: This is one of my favorite desserts to make. This is a well put together dessert that is extremely good and it goes well for any occasion.







No comments:

Post a Comment